The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) advises the Campbell County School Board about special education issues and ways in which they can make special education services as effective as possible. The committee is a collaborative effort among school division personnel, parents, community representatives and all stakeholders. The purpose of SEAC is to:
The SEAC, whose members are appointed by the school board, is comprised of:
- Assisting local school division personnel in developing long range plans for special education services
- Advising school division personnel, the School Board, and the community about issues related to special education; and
- Participating in the development of priorities and strategies to meet identified needs of students with disabilities.
Meetings are open to the public, and anyone in the community who has an interest in special education is welcome to attend. SEAC meetings are a great opportunity to network with other parents.How do I speak with a SEAC member?SEAC members are parent volunteers, and not school employees. If you need assistance from the Special Education Department, please call 434-332-8231.Here is a list of the upcoming school year's SEAC meetings:All Meetings are open to the public and held at the Campbell County Technical Center located at 194 Dennis Riddle Drive, Rustburg VA, 24588 Oct 3, 2012 - 1:00 pmNov 7, 2012 - 1:00 pmFeb 6, 2013 - 1:00 pmMarch 6, 2013 - 1:00 pmMay 1, 2013 - 1:00 pm*If schools are closed due to inclement weather, the meeting will be cancelled. Please call 332-8231 to confirm meeting datesw/times.Citizens are welcome to provide written comment to SEAC, or give public comment at the meetings during the time designated. There is a designated time for public comment during SEAC meetings. This is an opportunity to share successful educational experiences and express general concerns regarding educational issues for students with special needs. The SEAC requests that any concerns expressed be general comments dealing with global issues rather than a specific comment dealing with a personal matter or situation. The Committee suggests that you address concerns about personal situations directly to the Department of Special Education.For more information regarding SEAC please reference “A Guide for Local Special Education Advisory Committees in Virginia”Anyone needing accommodations for a disability in order to attend or participate should call (434) 332-8321 seven days prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
- persons with disabilities
- parents/guardians of students with disabilities
- public/county human service agency representatives
- community/civic organization representatives
- business/industry representatives
- The Director of Special Education, the Assistant Superintendent for Instruction and a representative from the school board serve as consultants to the committee.
Last updated: 10/3/2012 1:15:30 PM