Kindergarten Frequently Asked Questions

                Kindergarten FAQs

           Q        How old does my child need to be to enroll in kindergarten?

A         A child must be 5 years old on or before September 30 of the coming school year to enroll in kindergarten.


           Q        Can a parent postpone kindergarten enrollment?

A         Yes, any child who has not reached his/her 6th birthday on or before September 30 may be exempted from school                           attendance until the following year if the parent feels like the child is not mentally, physically, or emotionally prepared

            to attend school.

Q        What are acceptable proofs of residency?

A         A deed, mortgage, rental agreement, personal bill, or payroll stub


Q        What if I don’t live in Campbell County but would like my child to go to a Campbell Public School (K-12)?

A        You can obtain an out-of-district application from Kayla Pribble at 434-332-8216.  Once your completed application is                    submitted,  it will need to be approved by the building principal, superintendent, and Campbell County School Board.  

           The current yearly fee is $500.00. You will be notified in writing of the outcome.


Q         What if I live in Campbell County, but not in the school zone that I want my child to attend (K-12)?

A         In county residents may complete an out-of zone application to send their child to a school other than the school they are              zoned for by completing an application which can be obtained at each school or by contacting

            Tracie Dobyns at 434-332-8245.   Once your completed application is submitted, it will need to be approved by the                        building principal and superintendent. You will be notified of the outcome in writing.


Q         If we move into another school district or school zone, can my child remain at his/her current school (K-12)?

A         In order for a student to remain at his/her school, the parent/guardian must complete the above forms and submit them to             the school principal.


Q        Can I home school my child?

A         Yes, given parents meet the State of Virginia’s guidelines.  A parent wishing to home school his/her children must submit a             Notice of Intent to Provide Home Instruction to:

                                                                        Mr. Denton Sisk

                                                                        684 Village Highway

                             P.O. Box 99

                                                                        Rustburg, VA 24588